Research work of the Medical Biology Department involves planning and execution of theses, implementation of departmental and interdepartmental research projects, organization of and participation in national and international scientific meetings, training students’ research.Over the past decade the staff of the department received more than 14 patents and 9 certificates of rationalization proposals, published over 700 scientific papers in journals and collections of articles.
Scientific achievements of the staff of the Medical Biology Department (2015)
Research work of the Medical Biology Department was launched by the first head Yaremenko I.I. and was devoted to studying of the biology of pathogens trichinosis and echinococcosis. Thus, the first PhD (1968) and doctoral (1993) theses at the Department of Medical Biology were executed by N.A. Kulikova. The results of these studies became the biological basis for developing the science-based system of antytrihinosis preventive measures, implementation of which helped to reduce morbidity of trichinosis in the West Podillia.
Professor N.A.Kulikova is holding tryhineloskopy (1989)
Professor Anatolii Lokay was the head of the Biology Department from 1974 to 1999. His scientific activity was devoted to toxicology. Anatolii Ivanovych organized a science lab of the Biology Department, which conducted fundamental research concerning poisoning with mushrooms, including Amanita phalloides.
Professor A.I. Lokay and the staff of the Medical Biology Department, which he headed (1990).
Analysis and synthesis of the results of experimental work allowed us to develop clinical and laboratory diagnosis of acute gastrointestinal diseases.
In 1988, the employees of the laboratory of the Department of Biology grounded the expediency of using taurine in the treatment of patients following poisoning with Amanita phalloides. According to the Order of the Minister of Health of Ukraine from October 22, 1997 taurine was allowed for medical use.
Subsequently, the research activity of the Department expanded, and the following research areas joined a large number of biological tendencies:
• Morphofunctional state of lyophilized Xenodermografts and the peculiarities of regenerative processes upon their application on burn wounds (Bihunyak T.V., 2000-2002).
• Structural organization of ventricular disease and atrioventricular heart valves in the pre- and postnatal periods of ontogeny and with acquired heart defects (Fedonyuk L.Ya., 2009-2014).
• Morphological features of remodelling small bowel lesions in experimental aluminum chloride (Yarema O.M., 2010-2014).
• Patterns of remodeling the structures of the small intestine by the action of cadmium on animals of different ages (Ruzhytska O. Yu., 2010-2014).
• Features of atrioventricular blood flow and ventricular-vascular heart valves in people of mature age (Fedonyuk L.Ya., 2012-2015).
• Study of structural and functional characteristics of bronchus and lung in experimental pneumonia (Rybitska L.N., 2011-2012).
• Study of factors of the development of coagulopathy, chromosomal and mitochondrial diseases in humans (Bihunyak T.V., 2008-2015).
• Application of Methods of Genetics in Medicine (Bihunyak T.V., 2008-2015).
• Genetic aspects of neonatal screening for the presence of phenylketonuria in Ternopil region (Bihunyak T.V., 2013-2014).
· Impact of polyunsaturated fatty acids of the family ω-3 and ω-6 on lipogenesis and holesterynohenez in white rats and guinea pigs while loading with cholesterol
(Pokotylo O.S., 2003-2006).
· Features of lipid metabolism and condition of prooxidant-antioxidant system during the actions of ethanol and tetracycline (Nedoshytko H. Yu., 2007-2014).
· Features of oxidative metabolismin in case of experimental acute pancreatitis and ways of correction (Pryvrotska I.B., 2009-2015).
· Oxidative status and condition of protective systems of the rats with acetaminophen toxic lesions on the background of diabetes of the second type
(Furka O.B., 2011-2015.)
4. Plant biotechnology:
· Research of the biochemical composition of callus tissue culture of medicinal plants by the method of cultivation in vitro (Tusyk O.T., 2009-2013).
· Study of helminthoses common in Ukraine (Bihunyak T.V., Pryvrotska I.B., 2007-2013).
· The impact of house dust mites on humans (Bihunyak T.V., 2007-2008).
· Clinical and epidemiological features of congenital toxoplasmosis
(Bihunyak T.V., Rybitska LN, 2011-2012).
· Epidemiological features of salmonellosis (Bihunyak T.V., 2011-2013).
· Research of pedagogical conditions of application of new information technologies in educational process of high school (Stebelsky L.B., 2011-2015).
· Case-study method in teaching Medical Biology (Bihunyak T.V., 2015)
· Impact of biorhythms on human health (Yakovenko M.Ya., 1980-2004).
· Protection of the environment and human health (Hrymaluk O.I., 2013-2015).
The teachers of the Department annually publish their research findings in scientific forums.
Professor V.P. Pishak, Professor L.Ya Fedonyuk (2013), assistant professor T.V. Bihunyak (2014), assistant professor L.N. Rybitska (2010) – participants of scientific conferences
Particular attention is paid to the work of the student scientific circle, which has been actively working at the Department of Medical Biology for 20 years.
Topics discussed at the meetings of the circle are closely intertwined with scientific directions of the department staff. Each year 10 meetings takes place, at which questions of natural recreational resources of Ternopil region, Red plants and animals of Ternopil region and Ukraine, poisonous plant and animal species, kinds of poisons and medical emergency in case of animal bites, methods of preserving rare and endangered species of flora Ukraine are discussed. Particular attention is paid to biomedical aspects of parasitism, prevention of parasitic diseases.